Welcome to the “flipped classroom” educational material for the December 3 Webinar: What's In a Name? An International Moderated Discussion with many Points of View Regarding the Name(s) of Seizure Variant FND
We are excited to offer this special webinar in collaboration with the American Epilepsy Society and the International League against Epilepsy. They have provide some “flipped classroom” educational material available in advance of the upcoming December 3 Livestream FNDS Webinar: What's In a Name? An International Moderated Discussion with many Points of View Regarding the Name(s) of Seizure Variant FND (aka PNES, PNEA, Dissociative seizures)
Part I: "Flipped Classroom" online materials. Review videos on this page and submit questions or comments prior to livestream
Part II: "What’s in a Name: International Moderated Discussion with many Points of View Regarding the Name(s) of Seizure Variant FND", webinar jointly hosted by the AES and the PNES SIG. Thursday, December 3, 11:00 EST / 1600 GMT.
You are encouraged, but not required, to participate in Part I to participate in Part II.
Part I: Background material and library of papers
Dr. Ben Tolchin has collated some literature for anyone interested in reading the background timeline and debates about terminology. There are 5 videos representing different points of view from those who are invested in the diagnosis (also called “stakeholders”). Below each video we have provided a place for your anonymous comments which may be used for qualitative research or for themes to discuss during Part II of the flipped classroom.
Slides and Articles
- What's in a Name? Identifying a Unified Terminology for Functional, Psychogenic, or Dissociative Seizures (Slides)
- Acceptability and Effectiveness of a Strategy for the Communication of the Diagnosis of Psychogenic Nonepileptic Seizures
- Seizure, Fit or Attack? The Use of Diagnostic Labels by Patients with Epileptic or Non-epileptic Seizures
- Parental Ranking of Terms Describing Nonepileptic Events
- What Should We Call Pseudoseizures? The Patient’s Perspective
- Is there a better term than “Medically unexplained symptoms”?
- Research on dissociative seizures: A bibliometric analysis and visualization of the scientific landscape
- ICD-10-CM Diagnostic Coding for Non-Epileptic Seizures (Slides)
- What's in a Name?
- Terminology for psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: Making the case for “functional seizures”
- Epidemiology SIG 2012 (Slides)
FND Hope: An organization of patients, patient advocates, and caregivers
Markus Reuber, MD: Epileptologist specializing in FND, Professor of Clinical Neurology, Editor-in-Chief of Seizure - European Journal of Epilepsy, FNDS Board Member
Mark Hallett, MD: President of FNDS, Chief, Human Motor Control Section, NINDS, NIH, Past-President of the International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology
Kasia Kozlowska, PhD: Pediatric psychiatrist treating children and teens with FND
Submit Questions/Comments on Videos
Part II: Livestream via FNDS Webinar Series
This involves attending a livestream webinar on Thursday, December 3, 2020 at 11:00 AM EST / 1600 GMT, which will entail a moderated international discussion with experts in the field discussing pros and cons of different terminology and response to the themes generated through comments from Part I. This session is at NO COST to you but requires pre-registration. For those who cannot be at the livestream session, it will be recorded and available until Dec. 31, 2020 or indefinitely to members of FNDS.